Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Books and me

"Books are a man's best friend", I've heard the saying around 100 times and agree with it totally. I have to blog about this incident which is so funny but before that tell me how would u feel if u were told about the climax just in middle of the movie? I really would not enjoy it. I remember reading Erich Segal's - The Love Story and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it until my brother told me "Ohh! Love Story..this book...I think it's the same story where in the end the girl dies, Why are u reading it u should have asked me". He smiled and went away. I had read only half the book and left it halfway. Will read it some time later when I'll forget who dies in the end.

I don't enjoy lonnngggg novels and specially those which have pathetic story line but something interesting which binds me till the end is worth reading. Currently I am reading "Around the world in 80 days" by Jules Verne and just few days back I finished "The One Minute Mother" by Spencer Johnson. Amazing book on mothering and tips to raise children.

But I believe no book can teach u how to mother children, it's something which is natural and comes from within. Isn't it? Although I would love to know what other people have to say about being a mom and their experience being "children".

As of now I am enjoying my time with the books and hope u have a good time too.

2 comments:

AJEYA RAO said...

Indeed- Books are best firends. I am presently about to complete "Argumentative Indians" by Amartya sen and cant wait to select my next book.

Well knowing th ending does make a difference only if the ending really matters. Well most of the books i read are not suspense. I knew the entire synopsis of my favorite book Mrs Dalloway, yet i liked it, because the ending did not effect the book. But if it would be a suspense novel, then what you say might be true. In mostof the novels i read, it is interesting to know how the author constructs the clmax through the book rather than the ending itself.

I also agree on your thought that no book can teach us something but an author can only gives his opinion and experience which may effect our decisions.

Anu said...

Very well said Ajeya. Oh yes, I agree with you it's the author who constructs the climax.